[GCC-XML] Trouble Using Gccxml with Windows VC80 and STL

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Oct 8 15:52:17 EDT 2008

Christian Tonn wrote:
> The output of the gccxml_vcconfig.bat is really the problem. I didn't read
> it carefully the first time. It says:
>
> [...]
> C:\Programme\gccxml\share\gccxml-0.9\VcInstall\vcpatch.exe -p0 -t -d
> C:\Programme\gccxml\share\gccxml-0.9\Vc8\Include
> Error running patch.  Output is [patching file `algorithm'
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 2548.
[snip]
> I am going to send you this *.rej files separately.

Several people have reported problems like this:

  http://www.gccxml.org/pipermail/gccxml/2008-June/001139.html
  http://www.gccxml.org/pipermail/gccxml/2007-July/000929.html
  http://www.gccxml.org/pipermail/gccxml/2007-September/000977.html

Everyone who has had this problem was using a relatively old
installation of a European language version of VS 2005.

I distribute patches for the headers of every VS version.  The
gccxml_vcconfig.bat program detects the versions of VS that are
installed, copies their header files, and applies the corresponding
patches.  Unfortunately there seems to be an older version of VS 2005
sp0 than the one I used to generate the patches.  At some point MS
started distributing a newer version with some security fixes and other
header file changes but did not bump any version number.  This causes
the patching to fail as you've seen.

I've investigated this somewhat extensively with the help of previous
reporters.  As far as I can tell there is no way to distinguish the
versions without looking at the content of the header files.  In other
words the fix for this is very difficult and will help only a few people
with old versions.

If you install VS 2005 service pack 1 and run gccxml_vcconfig.bat again
the problem should go away.