[GCC-XML]Function attributes.

Oscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Aug 13 16:02:08 EDT 2003

"William A. Hoffman" <billlist at nycap.rr.com> writes:

> You may want to look at the work we did for ITK.
> We are using GCCXML as a front end for Swig.
>
> This allows it to take advantage of the good parsing by
> gcc, and the backend language wrappers provided by SWIG.

Indeed. However, as I'm working with a new experimental language, it
doesn't apply to my case. It's much simpler to create the glue code
directly from the XML output than writing a new Swig module.

That language is able to call C/C++ functions and methods
directly. The only information GCCXML doesn't provide is the calling
convention, so I'm forced to generate wrapping functions.

For Windows, knowing when a function or class is marked as dllexport
helps to focus on the interface of the library. This is not so
important as the calling convention issue, but once we start ouputting
attributes, showing them all makes no harm.

BTW, GCCXML and CABLE seems the right thing for interfacing C/C++ with
other languages. It's amazing that I haven't heard of them before.

Thanks for your detailed response.

[snip]

--
Oscar