[GCC-XML]Patches for GCC 3.3.1

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Aug 27 09:51:08 EDT 2003

> After looking through the CVS logs, I saw that Revision 1.50 of xml.c
> added some support for GCC 3.3 back in March of this year (*).  Using
> the latest GCC-XML code from CVS, I made the attached patches that
> appear to get GCC-XML working with GCC 3.3.1.  Output from my really
> simple test cases look good compared to output from GCC-XML 0.4.2, but I
> would like to be sure that my changes are actually valid.

The CVS version of gccxml (even before your contribution) should have been
able to simulate GCC 3.3.1 in your installation.  Building the patched
cc1plus executable from GCC 3.0.4 should still be able to parse the 3.3
standard library.  I have nightly testing on a project that uses gccxml to
simulate gcc 3.3.

The GCC-XML patch need not be applied to your system compiler.  A separate
build is fine.

> (*) Actually, I think Revision 1.50 added support for the GCC 3.4 code
> base.  In particular, BINFO_ACCESSES() wasn't added until Revision 1.387
> of GCC's tree.h, but GCC 3.3.x branched from Revision 1.367, which does
> not contain the BINFO_ACCESSES() macro.  Furthermore, tm.h and
> coretypes.h don't exist in the GCC 3.3 release branch.  This is
> reflected in my patch for xml.c.

In fact those changes were made to support Apple's branch of gcc 3 for
their 3.3 release of OSX Panther.  I guess they included more changes in
their version of gcc 3.3 than the gcc folks did.

I've applied your patch to xml.c, made a few tweaks, and committed the
changes with credit to you in the CVS log.  I'll also be adding a patch
for gcc 3.3 to the CVS repository as well.  Thanks for your work.