[GCC-XML]__int64 support for mscv6

Early Ehlinger earlye at respower.com
Mon Mar 24 14:56:00 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Brad King wrote:
> > Since __int64 is defined to be 'long long' by gccxml, all occurrences of
> > __int64 are replaces with 'long long'.  This generated xml is incorrect
> > since when WIN32 is defined Int64 should be __int64 and UInt64 should be
> > unsigned __int64.
> [snip]
> > Can this problem be fixed by removing __int64 from GCCXML_FLAGS?
>
> No, because the reason __int64 is specified is because GCC's parser does
> not understand __int64, but it does understand long long.  The real
> solution is probably to modify the XML dump to translate "long long" to
> __int64 automatically.  I've added this to the list of items for
> implementation in the next version.
>
> As a hack, for now you can just modify whatever you use to read/parse the
> XML to translate a FundamentalType of "long long" into "__int64" if
> running on windows.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the read/parse functions look for long
long and use that *instead of* __int64?  I.e., to pretend that VC
implements __int64 as a macro for long long?  After all, long long is part
of C99 (granted, not specifically for 64-bit integers...)

Or is the read/parse code generating other code that will be consumed by
vc6 (in which case long long would be *very bad*).

--
Best Regards,
- Early Ehlinger - CEO - ResPower, Inc - 866-737-7697