[GCC-XML]gccxml / panther

Guy Barrand barrand at lal.in2p3.fr
Tue May 4 04:47:27 EDT 2004

   Hello

   I am a new comer in this mailing list, then sorry if the below
question(s) is a well known FAQ.

  I simply try to install and run gccxml on a MacOSX/Panther.

  I have checkouted tag gccxml-0-6-0 and tried to work with that.
On a simple file (xxx.h) containing a simple code like :
class xxx {
public:
   xxx(){}
};
  the command :
    gccxml xxx.h -fxml=xxx.xml
failes with something like :
   Error: Could not run /usr/local/gccxml/0.6.0/bin/gccxml:
   Too many open files
Jumping in the code of gxFront, it appears that gccxml
passes its time to spawn itself, then exhausting the capability of my
system (MacOSX/Panther).

   In the archive I have seen mails of someone that tried
to port and run on a MacOS-10.2 but nothing recent.

   Then questions :
- does gccxml work on MacOSX/Panther ?
- is the upper a well known problem ?

   In the archive, it is mentioned that there are some patches
   that should be applied to gcc-3-3-Panther.
- Do they apply on the GCC branch of my checkout ?
- How to apply back the patches ? (here I am lacking some cvs command
   to apply back the .diff modifs at once).
- In the .diff patch files, the repository seem to be different from
   what I have checkouted. (In fact things does not correspond
   also to what is in the README to build (for exa ../gccxml is
   clearly now ../GCC_XML)). Are the .diff files still valid ones ?

   Not clear to me what is the relationship of your gcc with
the one installed on my Mac and the relationship of these
program with gccxml.
- how gccxml knows your gcc ?
- do I have to patch the gcc of Panther ?

   Any help would be welcomed.

   Else, gccxml is in use in our things on Linux and Window and
it is appreciated. Having it working on Mac would be great...

     Cheers

     Guy

Guy Barrand
   LAL