[GCC-XML] seg faults on iostream, STL, etc.

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sat Oct 23 19:44:46 EDT 2004

John Morrison wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I am a gccxml newbie posting with some trepidation.  I am trying to run
> gccxml over a large, g++ 3.3.3-friendly source code deck (also builds on
> IRIX, Solaris, MSVC, and .NET, so the code cannot be THAT
> non-conformant).  Quite unexpectedly (to me), gccxml is choking and
> giving me seg faults on about half the few dozen libraries, and giving
> me source code diagnostics on the rest (I cannot get a single library
> processed).  Environment is Linux FC2.
>
> Complaints are often on system files
>
> [jm at jmorrison include]$ gccxml --gccxml-compiler g++ --gccxml-cxxflags
> -D_REENTRANT -D__linux__ -D__redHat9__ -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS  -I.
> -I../vrfVrlinkExt/libsrc/vrfExtProtocol -I../VR-Link/include
> -I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/terrainCS -I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/gdb
> -I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/geometry
> -I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/geometryNative -I../zlib -fPIC dtedInc.h
> -fxml=~/MaK/Lisp/GCCXML/FOO/dted.xml
> /usr/include/c++/3.3.3/iostream:1980: internal compiler error: Segmentation
>  fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
> [jm at jmorrison include]$
>
> There are also some in the STL (stl_map).  Do I really send preprocessed
> input (run with -E), and maybe send the --debug output, as attached
> files?  They'll be kind of big, and I do not want to flood people's
> inboxes with these large files.

Try running without the --gccxml-cxxflags option.  This option is to be
used when specifying what compiler to simulate (like -LANG:std for
MIPSpro).  If you pass -D and -I options they will automatically be used
by the parser.  Try this command line:

gccxml --gccxml-compiler g++ -D_REENTRANT -D__linux__ -D__redHat9__
-D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -I. -I../vrfVrlinkExt/libsrc/vrfExtProtocol
-I../VR-Link/include -I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/terrainCS
-I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/gdb -I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/geometry
-I../terrainToolkit/libsrc/geometryNative -I../zlib dtedInc.h
-fxml=~/MaK/Lisp/GCCXML/FOO/dted.xml

If this does not work, please send me the prepocessed output privately
instead of posting it to the list to avoid the inbox problems you mentioned.

Thanks,