[GCC-XML] 0.9 tag in github

Michka Popoff michkapopoff at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:01:31 EDT 2013

Le 23 mai 2013 à 14:43, Brad King a écrit :

> On 05/22/2013 05:16 PM, Michka Popoff wrote:
>> I am currently developing a formula for the homebrew package manager (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-headonly/pull/10), which will let people install gccxml easily on OS X. (Here are some informations on homebrew if you don't know it : http://mxcl.github.io/homebrew/).The ultimate goal is to propose an ITK formula, simplifying the installation on OS X (one line install, no need to know anything about cmake). To be able to install ITK with python wrapping, gccxml is needed.
>
> Note that gccxml will need further work to *run* with Clang after
> compiling.  There is some discussion here:
>
> https://github.com/gccxml/gccxml/pull/3

I saw this issue. But I was still able to compile gccxml and then to use it to compile ITK with python wrappings on OS X (without any trouble).
So "make test" is failing but I can still use gccxml ?

>> For the moment the last tag on github for gccxml is 0.6., but the version you get is 0.9 when installing from head. So I was wondering if there is a shift in version numbers or missing tags in git ? If there is missing tags, would it be possible to add the tag for 0.9 ? This seems confusing.
>>
>> Secondly, the latest commits correcting the compilation with clang work nicely. I don't know if there is a plan to go to the next version for gccxml, so that we can have a stable version which compiles on OS X (and not a HEAD version).
>
> We don't maintain a series of numbered releases anymore, but 'master'
> stays quite stable.  Just manually choose a commit sha1 in the
> "git log --first-parent" history behind master and package that.
> Use a version number like "0.9.0.$date" where "$date" is the committer
> date of the chosen commit in the format CCYYMMDD.  For example:
>
> $ git log -n 2 master --first-parent --format='%cd %H' --date=iso
> 2013-05-02 10:12:20 -0400 567213ac765c99d5dfd23b14000b3c7b76274fcb
> 2013-05-02 10:12:20 -0400 875b2c14f309fa254f531584a62c1bd01e84ce58
>
> so you can package commit 567213ac as 0.9.0.20130502.  The gccxml
> Debian package uses a similar approach.
>
> -Brad

I'll see what can be done in the homebrew package manager, I don't know how they are handling this specific situation. Should be no problem to have a stable download with this.
Thanks for the explanations

Michka Popoff