[GCC-XML]gcc-xml , can serve to my goal?

Bernardi Mario Luca marioluca at inwind.it
Sat Oct 12 07:41:51 EDT 2002

Hi all ,
I'm a Computer Science Engineering Student. I'm working at my master
thesis on the subject of Reverse Engineering. To be precise my thesis
is about the development of a software tool for the recovering of
scenarios ( use cases view ) from C++ source code.
I've studied some methodologies about this recovering process
as MM-Path and ASF ( Atomic System Function ). To implement a software
tool that use these methodologies i need to do some analysis on c++ code
such as parsing , symbol table management , control flow analysis and
data flow analysis. I've not already done a deep analysis on *all*
information i must to extract from code.
I'd like to know if gccxml is suitable as a analysis platform to extract from
code the info i require ( for example list of Methods , Class Hierarchy ,
Symbols informations and the capability of identify some particular type
of statements[like I/O statements] to record in witch method a MM-Path
start and/or die).
If someone who has a certain degree of practice with gccxml can summarize me
the features that gcc-xml can give to my goal i would thank him a lot!
I've read some docs from the gcc-xml site but i need
to better understand what it can do and what remains on my
shoulder :)

Cheers ,
Mario Luca Bernardi