[GCC-XML]Why does gccxml.exe demand MSVC on Windows?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Feb 25 15:27:14 EST 2003

> I've just downloaded and unpacked the gccxml 0.4.1 zipfile on an old
[snip]
> Given that I can get what looks like perfectly good XML output by
> running gccxml_cc1plus.exe directly with only a sourcefile and an -fxml
> option, wouldn't it make sense for gccxml.exe to do this (maybe with a
> warning) if all else fails, or if GCCXML_COMPILER="g++" ?

The zipfile is a binary for the windows build of GCC-XML, which does not
understand cygwin paths.  In order to simulate g++ in cygwin, you need a
cygwin build of GCC-XML.  Download the source tarball and build it in
cygwin.  You'll need to install the CMake 1.6.x package from the cygwin
installer.

tar xvzf gccxml-0.4.1.tar.gz
mkdir gccxml-0.4.1-build
cd gccxml-0.4.1-build
cmake ../gccxml-0.4.1
make
make install

Then copy the gccxml_cc1plus exectuable you already have into
/usr/local/bin next to gccxml.exe.  You should then be able to run gccxml
from the cygwin prompt.