[GCC-XML]Still isn't running

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Oct 10 09:42:37 EDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Victor A. Wagner, Jr. wrote:

> Ok, I get the 'binaries' form the website (windows install) and
> ....oops, they don't know about 7.1 (even tho it's been out for 6+
> months and is the only nearly compatible C++ Microsoft has EVER done)

Please note that the last release of GCC-XML was done in 2002, well before
7.1 was released:

http://www.gccxml.org/HTML/News.html

Since then we've had no funding to do more work or releases.  That which
has been done has been occasional tweaks requiring a few minutes apiece.
If you'd like to arrange a contract with Kitware for a release to be done
and better documentation to be written, please contact
kitware at kitware.com.  Otherwise you'll have to wait until we have time to
do it.

> so I start looking around... I now have FOUR (4) .exe files that I'm not
> sure what to do with
>
> C:\Projects\K2\Projects\GCC_XML\Release\gccxml.exe
> C:\Projects\K2\Projects\GCC_XML\Release\vcInstall.exe
> C:\Projects\K2\Projects\GCC_XML\Release\vcInstallPatch.exe
> C:\Projects\K2\Projects\GCC_XML\VcInstall\vcPatch.exe
>
> what do I run?  from where? .... this is staggeringly frustrating
>
> btw, at this point I can't even tell what the problem is.... here's the
> output from my run (yeah, I'm _really_ trying to get pyste working).
>
> C:\Projects\K2\Testing-General>pyste.py --module=hello world.pyste
> Error executing C:/Program Files/GCC_XML/gccxml_cc1plus.exe

The instructions at

http://www.gccxml.org/HTML/Install.html

have two parts.  One covers "gccxml_cc1plus", the other covers "gccxml".
The "Windows" part of the "gccxml_cc1plus" instructions tells you to build
it under cygwin.  The "Windows" part of the "gccxml" instructions tells
you to copy gccxml_cc1plus to the top of your build tree.

What you need to do is build gccxml_cc1plus.exe under cygwin and copy it
to C:\Projects\K2\Projects\GCC_XML.  Then running gccxml.exe from the
build tree should work fine.