[GCC-XML]New cv-qualified type referencing scheme

Tony Cook tony at bci.gb.com
Tue Oct 21 05:35:37 EDT 2003

>I never seen information about the QualifiedLocation node before. I am
>missing something ?

Nothing missed - I was illustrating that solving the location attribute
in a similar manner to the CvQualifiedType element would not really work
;)

>Anyway, I suggest to forget the backward compatibility in the main
GCC_XML
>output.
>We could write a XSL file to do the compatibility job. The old GCC_XML
user
>need to have a XSL tools.

I would agree. With this sort of tool, backwards compatibility is less
of an issue than "ease" or "efficiency" of use. For my part upgrading
various existing XSL transforms I have is trivial. I'd rather have the
processing efficiency that proper ID/IDREF attributes give when the XSLT
processor can index them for fast XPath resolution (otherwise it's a
repeated sequential lookup :( - slow in big gccxml output files)

>The main advantage of this approach is that the future maintenance
should >be increased significantly.
>The disadvantage is that the old user need to install a new tools and
add 2
>lines in his makefile to convert the new format to the old one.

Agreed.

>Richard Buchmann

Cheers Tony