[GCC-XML] GCC-XML License

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Mar 21 13:03:32 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is as follows.

Chris Waldron wrote:
> I have a question about GCC-XML license.  I read on the list that it is
> possible that if a commercial application uses the output from GCC that
> the commercial application can also fall under the GPL license.  It
> seems that what the GCC-XML license does is act as a firewall between
> GCC and the final XML output from GCC-XML.  Is my understanding correct?

The output should not be affected by the GPL, just like a binary
produced by running GCC and GNU binutils does not need to be GPLed.

> Also if I need to redistribute GCC-XML what would I as a commercial
> developer be required to redistribute.  I assume that I will have to
> redistribute both gccxml.exe and gccxml_cc1plus.exe and the source code
> of GCC since gccxml_cc1plus.exe is licensed under GPL.  Is this correct?

Only the source in the "GCC" subdirectory would need to be
redistributed.  It is the source to gccxml_cc1plus.exe which is the only
binary under the GPL.  All the code that is linked into gccxml.exe has a
BSD-style license.