[GCC-XML] Is gccxml still active

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Nov 8 11:37:16 EST 2010

On 11/07/2010 06:04 PM, Brendan Simon wrote:
> Just wanted to know if the gccxml project is still active.

It is still being maintained but there are no plans to add new
features like C++0x support.

> Is there a release due any time soon ??

There are no releases.  The latest CVS HEAD is always stable though.

> What version of gcc is the latest gccxml based on ??

4.2

> My main need is to to some documenation of existing code.  I want to
> generate flow charts and the like from an existing code base

gccxml does not generate information about the function bodies,
so it will be of little use for flow charts.  I suggest looking
at "llvm" and "clang" instead:

  http://clang.llvm.org/

It is an open-source modular toolchain.  It supports C++.

> BTW, are there any plans to integrate gccxml into the upstream gcc
> codebase ??  It seems logical to me that this is where it should live
> and there would be more chance of it remaining up to date with gcc
> releases.

No.  Only the core xml.c dump code and some related compiler sources
were derived from GCC.  Some hacks were done in the parser that would
not be reasonable to include upstream.

Much of the gccxml distribution is actually unrelated to GCC and
consists of patched system headers from other compilers (or patches
to apply to copies made on the end user system, depending on licensing
details).